Wednesday, 31 December 2014

Book Haul: Christmas Presents!

Hello everybody. I know I’ve been absent for quite a while. To put it briefly, I was in a reading slump for more than three months, my mind was blocked up with other things and I had this overall feeling of dullness and lassitude. In addition, I’ve had to make some unpleasant decisions which, hopefully, will turn out for the better in the long run. Anyhow, now I’m slowly getting back into the swing of things, so I thought I’d show you what I got for Christmas. I’m incredibly pleased with my presents this year!

Sweet Tooth, Vol. 1: Out of the Deep Woods by Jeff Lemire
Saga, Vol. 4 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
Gotham Central, Vol. 1: In the Line of Duty by Ed Brubaker, Greg Rucka and Michael Lark
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 3: One Small Step by Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra, Paul Chadwick and José Marzan, Jr. 

Saga wasn’t a Christmas present, but it conveniently arrived by mail on Christmas, so I’m counting it. I’ve pretty much read this right after tearing open the package, and, unsurprisingly, it’s great, although it’s my least favourite volume so far. 
I asked for Gotham Central because I recently got into the Fox TV show Gotham, which is partially based on this comic series. I haven’t ultimately decided on whether I like Gotham, but I’m intrigued by Robin Lord Taylor’s portrayal of Cobblepot, thus I’ll continue to watch it for a little while longer.

Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski
Giovanni’s Room by James Baldwin
A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams
Maurice by E. M. Forster

A Streetcar Named Desire ties in with my general resolution to read more (or any at all, for that matter) plays! In fact, I was just now thinking about maybe doing a small blogger “event” to bring people to read only stage plays for a week or so. But my blog is infinitesimally small, so I doubt that announcing something like that would have any effect at all. XD But if you’d be willing to participate in something along these lines, let me know, I’d be really happy and might organise something! …

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

The Psychology Book (Dorling Kindersley)
In the Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken

I’d cancelled my preorder for In the Afterlight because I knew I wouldn’t get around to reading this in October, anyway, but now I’ve got some time to spare, and I’m excited to see how this story wraps up.

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
Die Seiten der Welt by Kai Meyer (title translates to “The Pages of the World”)

 Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters
Landline by Rainbow Rowell

And last, but most definitely not least, a new decoration piece for my bookshelves …


Yeah, I know the owl looks cute, but what I’m talking about is the gigantic Tardis cookie jar right next to it! It’s beautiful, it makes my shelves look so much nicer AND it makes the characteristic Tardis sound each time you open it (which, as you would imagine, I now have to do whenever I enter my room).

I wish you all a Happy New Year and, hopefully, another couple of restful vacation days! Let me know what you got for Christmas and whether you’ve read any of the books that I received.

5 comments:

  1. Willkommen zurück :) Freut mich, dass du wieder zum Bloggen kommst! Mit der Leseflaute kommt mir leider bekannt vor, vor diesem Monat hatte ich richtige Negativrekorde aufgestellt. Aber mittlerweile kommt die Freude am Lesen wieder^^

    Liebe Grüße und rutsch gut rein!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ich bin auch richtig froh, meine Leseflaute so langsam überwunden zu haben, sodass ich nun endlich mal wieder etwas habe, worüber ich bloggen kann!

      Liebe Grüße :)

      Delete
  2. Tipping the Velvet! I so want to read that one. I, too enjoyed Volume 4 of Saga, and like you, read it as soon as I ripped open the box it came in. Lol.

    Enjoy everything else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is no other way of reading Saga! ;D

      I really want to read Tipping the Velvet in the next couple of months and then watch the BBC adaptation! I already skimmed through the first few pages a while ago and approved of Sarah Waters’ writing style, so I’m thrilled to finally own a copy of the book.

      Delete
  3. I love comics and graphic novels :D Currently reading both the Saga series and Y: the last man series. They are bot wonderful! Although Saga is my absolute favorite. It has such an unique story and is unlike any other graphic novel or comic I have heard of.

    Cucie @ Cucie reads

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts on this blog post! :)