Friday, 1 August 2014

July Wrap-Up: On Failure, Doctor Who and Hamlet



Basically, this month has been a huge fail in terms of reading. 
I only finished ONE book, and only managed to read about 1000 pages. I didn’t feel like reading at all. Whether it’s because of the weather or because I was troubled by headaches (pollen allergy and the like), I couldn’t say. Bad timing, as I planned on devoting lots of time into reading chunky novels.
It still needs some willpower for me to pick up big books. It’s a bit frustrating when you’re a hundred pages into a book and you still haven’t made any progress. Even though I enjoy the story, I tend to get bored easily, and need other books by way of a change. Yet I do love the fact that big books enable readers to follow beloved characters for a longer amount of time. 
I’ll give it another shot in September, but for now I need a break.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (5/5)

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (412 pages)
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (76 pages)
East of Eden by John Steinbeck (112 pages)

As I told you in my TBR post, you now have the permission to slap me, because I didn’t finish A Clash of Goddamn Kings . . . The font is tiny, the pages are thin, it takes time.
But yeah, what I’ve read so far from those three books has been very good. Steinbeck’s writing is phenomenal, and Kvothe’s story in The Name of the Wind promises to be adventurous and mystical. I need to find out more about the Chandrian!

Noble Conflict by Malorie Blackman (4/5)
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (5/5)

A Book Lover’s Problems – Real World vs. Fictional Adventures
Preordered Books & Comics of 2014
Recommendations: 10 Books to Read If You’re New to (Modern) Classics

Megan from Adrift on Vulcan shared her synopsis turn-ons and turn-offs and talked about why she’d like to read more books with bad endings.
Jamie from The Perpetual Page-Turner explained the physical difficulty of reading large books (a problem I was having this month as well!).
Hannah from Bookmarked! made a tutorial on how to create a Wizard of Oz-inspired legs-bookmark (German, but pictures are self-explanatory).
Effi from When Effi Reads a Book talked about the process of making a book as part of a project for university (German, but with pictures).
 
Thunderstorms are my favourite weather, though when they occur so frequently that it causes my Internet to crash twice in a fortnight, it does tend to get annoying. It still doesn’t work after a week; I’m writing this on my laptop with a surf stick. This means that it’s probably going to be a bit quiet on my blog for the next couple of days, and I can’t reply to your comments yet. 

The time I usually spend surfing the interwebs, I devoted to watching the entire third series of Doctor Who. I’d only ever seen series 1 & 2, as well as a few episodes from series 5 and The Day of the Doctor. Series 3 is now my favourite, even though it doesn’t feature Billie Piper. Did you know that Harry Lloyd, who plays an alien in the Family of Blood episodes as well as Viserys in Game of Thrones, is the great-great-great-grandson of Charles Dickens? How cool is that!?
And how brilliant are the Weeping Angels? After finishing the series, I immediately watched the Weeping Angels episodes from season 5 – and there was Ser Jorah Friendzone Mormont! That was my call to go back to reading A Clash of Kings

I’m thinking about doing something extremely exciting: Going to London. PLUS seeing Benedict Cumberbatch perform as Hamlet at the Barbican. This might sound a bit weird, but I’ve never actually been on vacation abroad before. I’ll have to research whether it would interlap with uni lecture times and organise how to get there and all, but I REALLY WANT TO GO. (I also just noticed that I’d have to find a way to solve the major problem: how to get my hands on tickets without a credit card, DAMNIT.)

So, what have you been up to in the past month?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts on this blog post! :)