Saturday, 2 August 2014

August TBR: Quick Reads!


As you’ll know if you’re seen my July Wrap-Up, my plan to read lots of big books in July didn’t exactly work out, so this time I’m going to attempt the opposite: read as many short books as possible. As far as I can tell, I’ve never managed to read a two-digit number of books in a single month. Thus  I’d like to do just that by reading only novels with less than 300 pages in August!


Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare (197 pages – every second page is just vocab)
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (215 pages)
The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells (150 pages)
Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote (158 pages)
The Comfort of Strangers by Ian McEwan (189 pages)
The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera (301 pages)
The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (272 pages)
The Woman in Black by Susan Hill (200 pages)
The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes (150 pages)
The Enchanted by Rene Denfeld (233 pages)
They Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (146 pages)
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (178 pages)
Magisterium: The Iron Trial by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare (295 pages)


Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins (384 pages)
Jackaby by William Ritter (299 pages)

Wow, I’ve accumulated quite a lot of short books over the last couple of months … 31 days. 15 books. 3367 pages. 109 pages per day. I’d say it’s perfectly feasible. And it’d do wonders to my TBR pile (or rather TBR bookshelf, but don’t tell anyone).

Much Ado About Nothing is my highbrow reading material for August; I’ll probably hold off on reading it till the end of the month though, in case there’s not enough time left.
I initially didn’t want to read The Unbearable Lightness of Being, but it’s the August pick for the International Reads Goodreads group. You don’t even want to know how long I’ve owned this book, so this is the best opportunity to finally get around to it. 
The Iron Trial and Jackaby are two review books I’m immensely excited about. They’re both to be published in September, therefore it’s about time that I read them!
There’s no doubt that I’ll devour Isla as soon as it arrives in the mail, and I’ll definitely be able to read it in a day. The release date is eagerly anticipated, so let’s hope there won’t be anyinterruptions on that day!

What do you want to read this month? Have you read any of the books from my TBR list? If so, how did you like them?

12 comments:

  1. You have the Iron Trial! I'm so jealous! :D
    Those are some great books that you've picked for this month. I hope you get through them all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won’t be long until its official release, so there’s something to look forward to! :)
      I hope so, too, and so far I’m doing fine!

      Delete
  2. "Breakfast at Tiffany's" fand ich ganz unterhaltsam. Von "Magisterium - The Iron Trial" hatte ich nicht mal den Klappentext gelesen, weil ich dachte, das sei wieder eines ihrer Shadowhunter-Bücher. Von denen gibt's eh schon so viele, dass man den Überblick verliert. Aber anscheinend geht das doch in eine andere Richtung. Bin dann mal auf deine Meinung gespannt. Und die über "Jackaby" will ich auch unbedingt hören! :D

    Liebe Grüße,
    Bramble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mhja, Magisterium ist wohl eher Middle Grade. Ich bin eigentlich ziemlich gespannt darauf, zu sehen, inwiefern es sich von Clares anderen Büchern unterscheidet, da Holly Black ja dieses Mal mitgewirkt hat. Von ihr hab ich nämlich bisher noch nichts gelesen.
      Von Cassandra Clares Büchern wollte ich mich ja nach Beenden der bisher erschienenen Shadowhunter-Reihen definitiv zurückziehen – irgendwann sollte Schluss sein –, aber dann fiel mir quasi durch Zufall das Rezensionsexemplar in die Hände und mein Interesse wurde geweckt. :P

      Delete
  3. Oh this is such a great idea. Much Ado About Nothing is one of rare Shakespearean plays I haven't read and I really hope you'll enjoy it. I have read Jackaby however and I really hope you'll enjoy it. It's an interesting book. Good luck :)

    Tanja @ Ja čitam, a ti?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is your favourite Shakespearean play then? :)
      Good to know you liked Jackaby, I’m optimistic that I’ll enjoy it as well!

      Delete
  4. I think this is definitely a good idea. Reading short books really ups your motivation to read even more books, because it's like "wow I'm almost finished with this book, I'll soon be able to read another one!" But then, there are instances where you don't want the book to end. Oh well.

    I've always wanted to read Kurt Vonnegut, and The Ocean at the End of the Lane is pretty good! I hope you enjoy all your reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And so far, my plan has worked out perfectly. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I tried to read The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I just couldn't get into it. I definitely want to read Slaughterhouse Five. Thanks to foot surgery I was able to read seven books in July. I read a total of five books for all of last year! I try not to put too much emphasis on how many books I read. But I do like the idea of reading shorter books for the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve also tried reading The Ocean at the End of the Lane before and couldn’t really get into it, even though it’s so short! But this time, I’ll just try to read it in a day and see if it get’s more interesting. I have faith in Gaiman!
      Foot surgery? Doesn’t sound particularly nice, I hope that everything’s fine!

      I also don’t try to focus too much on how many books I read, because I’d feel pressured otherwise. I do however participate in the Goodreads challenge each year, just to motivate me to pick up more books. The reason why I chose so many short books this month is because my shelves are overflowing with unread books. It’s a shame, and I need to catch up!

      Delete
  6. I really want to read Isla, but I still haven't read Lola. I did order it today, though, so I'll be getting to it soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I didn’t like Isla nearly as much as I hoped I would, but Lola is great. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts on this blog post! :)