Thursday, 3 July 2014

July TBR: Chunky Books!


I have the annoying habit of buying big books and then neglecting them. I could read two or three shorter novels in the amount of time that it takes me to read a bigger one, so I usually reach for books with less than 500 pages. Am I the only one who does that, or does anyone else have this problem, too?
I’d very much like to kick this habit in July, thus my plan is to read as many books with 500+ pages as possible! And as you might know if you’ve read my Biannual Recap, I also want to diversify my reading, therefore my TBR includes a classic and an adult fiction novel! Yey.
   East of Eden by John Steinbeck (728 pages) 
   The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (554 pages)
   The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (771 pages)
   A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (969 pages)
   The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (643 pages)
   The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (662 pages)

Bearing in mind that I’ve only managed to read about 10,000 pages so far this year (so pathetic), a total of 4327 pages in one month might be considered slightly over-ambitious. I don’t expect that I’ll be able to finish all of them, but I do want to get a good chunk read. 

I’m pretty sure that I’m going to love all of these books, I just haven’t got around to reading them yet. If I won’t manage to read A Clash of Kings, you hereby have my permission to punch me. I haven’t seen season 4 of GoT (except for the Sigur Rós scene, I couldn’t miss that one) because I intend to catch up with the books first, but I’m failing miserably. Spoilers are lurking everywhere, and I think I know every single character death already, so there isn’t even a point in avoiding the show. :( 

Please let me know whether you’ve read any of the books on my TBR, so I can decide which one to pick up first! Also, do you have a trick for motivating oneself to read more big, intimidating books? :)

11 comments:

  1. I really loved A Clash of Kings and The Name of the Wind, and liked Mistborn, but not as much as everyone else seemed to. Chunky books have always been my favorite- any more time with the characters and plot is usually a good thing, unless the book starts out slow and remains slow. Usually when I'm reading big books, they seem to go by so quickly, but I'm not sure why.
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, being able to follow a character for a large amount of time is definitely a huge advantage of chunky books!
      I just started reading the Name of the Wind, and I really enjoy the narrative. :)

      Delete
  2. I've heard great things about The Goldfinch. Would love to heart your thoughts on the book :D

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz
    http://thebooksbuzz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only read one of those book, The Book Thief and I absolutely love it so it would be my recommendation to you . I kind of have the same problem as you. I seem only to read short books, with about 200+ pages, because I like instant gratification. Reading GoT and knowing that the story is still not finished would drive me nuts :P

    Greetings,
    Suey

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of those books are on my TBR list :) Idk, something about massive books just scare me! I mean, I know that I'll enjoy the book but actually summoning the willpower to pick it up is terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Those books really are chunky. I've only read The Book Thief (amazing!), but I do want to read most of them. Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of the books in your TBR yet, but I have watched The Book Thief movie if that counts. I've been wanting to read The Final Empire and The Name of The Wind for such a long time! I'm hoping to read Game of Thrones in the near future, but the thickness of the book and the smallness of the text scare me.

    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  7. "A Clash of Kings" ist super! Ich liebe die Charaktere einfach so sehr. Das gleiche aber auch mit "The Book Thief". Aber da solltest du dir vorher noch einen Vorrat an Taschentüchern zulegen. Dennoch wünsch ich dir viel Freude damit! :)

    Liebe Grüße,
    Bramble

    ReplyDelete
  8. My problem with big books is quite similar and they also scare me. I'm easily intimidated by a 1000 pages book.
    But I loved The Name of the Wind (and therefore read it in 3 days on vacation). Now during schooldays it's a lot more complicated to read such a long book. I'm trying to read The Wise man's fear for 3 months now ._. I just don't have enough time to read the books in 1 or 2 sittings if I want to. (I don't like reading those big books in between because I often forget what happened when a book lasts too long.)
    That's why I always end up saving those books for vacation. The Problem is that I save at least 10 bigger books most of the time and that's something I can't read in 2 weeks :D
    I'm curious to see how you liked The Final Empire. Elantris by Brandon Sanderson is now on my wishlist for a long time but I always hesitate to buy it because his books are so hyped and I'm normally a person who doesn't really enjoy those overhyped books so much :D

    (And please don't be confused, practising English is always a good thing to do).
    ~Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh juhu, "Der Name des Windes"! Ich wünsche dir ganz ganz viel Spaß und Freude damit. Allein der Schreibstil, ein Traum! Dann diese wundervolle Welt, die Charaktere, mein absolutes Lieblingsbuch ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts on this blog post! :)