Tuesday, 8 July 2014

A Book Lover’s Problems — Real World vs. Fictional Adventures

After releasing the A Book Lover’s Wardrobe blog post, I decided to turn this into an ongoing feature with the title ‘Life of a Bibliophile’, wherein I talk about problems, dreams,  habits and other issues concerning book lovers!


It’s the release day of the final installment in your favourite book series of all time.
Your preferred book seller has had the epiphanic realisation that people preorder novels because they are anticipating their publication so much they actually wish to read them the minute they come out. And for a change, the local postman decides not to deliver the post for your street last of all, only to notice that he doesn’t get around to it at all before his finishing time.

Instead you receive your package first thing in the morning, rip it open and get cosy in your reading chair with a nice cup of tea and biscuits. You just found a comfortable position and are about to open the very first page as the unthinkable happens: The telephone located on the other side of the room starts ringing.
You send out a silent prayer for the phone to stop, but the caller appears to be very persistent. Eventually you give up and rise – not without releasing a sigh and a tirade of swear words – to answer it. The high-pitched, overly excited voice of your best non-bibliophilic friend sounds in your ears.


Have you ever found yourself in a situation similar to the one described? Are there any books that would make you drop everything until you’ve finished them? Did you ever stand a friend up to be able to read a certain book?

For me, it obviously depends on the book. I’m an introvert, so I regularly need some alone time in order to survive. I’d much rather read than go clubbing. Thus it’s quite possible that I would be more inclined to read a book than to go out – if it’s a very good book. Say if there was a new Harry Potter novel being released, I’d definitely cancel any plans for that one. But I do value the company of my friends as well, therefore something like conversation #2 wouldn’t be likely to happen. :)

7 comments:

  1. I really love to read in my free time and well, as you can guess I read a lot. But mh, I can't remember a situation like this. I think I would have met my friends at the café :D I'm more the extroverted type. But! Sometimes I search for a nice and silent place to be alone and read at my university. All my favorite friends have different lectures and so I often use my lunch break for "me-time". When I can't see my friends, why bother with the stupid ones? haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might just change the title into ‘loner problems’. :P

      Delete
  2. Great point. I don't know why but those bookshelves weirdly remind me of the game Habbo.com... Ever heard of it before? Probs not, but I love the clean and look of your site.

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I haven’t. What is it? The bookshelves are just something that I created with Paint. ^^

      Delete
  3. Hey Lina!

    That's so me :D I really hate when I'm excited to have some me-time with my favourite book (introvert, too) and then someone calls and wants to go out. In times like these I often just don't answer my phone. Unless of course someone rings me multiple times and then Harry Potter saving the world has to wait until the real life emergency is solved ;)

    Thank you so much, by the way, for following me :))

    Love,

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yey, someone who can relate to it. :P

      Sure thing, It’s more fun to blog when you know that someone’s actually reading it, right? ^^ I saw your blog on Blog-Zug and liked it. :)

      Delete
  4. lol! I would have just had the second convo. But luckily my best friend is an introvert. She doesn't read, but she understands that there are times that I would much rather be with books than people. I definitely dropped everything when Ignite Me came out. I was literally at the campus computer lab doing schoolwork when my husband texted that a package had arrived from Amazon. To which I said, eff schoolwork - I have a book to read!!

    Also, I hope you don't mind, but I nominated you for a Liebster Award! :) http://jessilovesbooks.blogspot.com/2014/09/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts on this blog post! :)