Saturday, 14 June 2014

Stacking the Shelves [#6] – 2nd Birthday Edition

Stacking the Shelves is a weekly meme hosted by Tynga’s Reviews that enables people to share the books they’ve recently added to their collection.  

Just so you know: I don’t normally buy that much stuff all at once. But these are the books that I treated  myself to for my birthday.

In the Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken [sampler]

The lovely Kymberlee from NewbieLibrarians sent me this 3-chapter-sampler of In the Afterlight! You have no idea how excited I am about this! Never Fade will be the next book that I’m going to pick up, so I can read this right afterwards.

The Enchanted by Rene Denfeld
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater [German translation, obviously]
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland is actually a present from my parents, but the inside flap of the cover was completely torn apart, so I had to return it. I’ve never received a damaged item from the big-A-company before …
The UK/US covers for The Raven Cycle don’t appeal to me at all – too much white in the background – and it just so happens that the German edition by script5 is absolutely gorgeous, so I finally got it. I’ve already read it, and I think it’s great!

 Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira 

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Now we’ve come to the risky part of my book purchases. For the longest time, I’ve been sceptical about these two YA novels. Somehow, the plots seem like a disaster waiting to happen. I was intrigued to read them nonetheless, though, because so many people rave about these series. Ironically, right after I’d bought them, I stumbled across quite a few negative reviews … I guess I’ll just have to find out for myself.

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill

There is one thing you need to know about me: Over the course of my life, there have alway been certain periods of time in which I had an unusual amount of weird luck. So last week, that became apparent when I received a strange package from The Book Depository. Turns out that they sent me a book by accident and now I can keep it. That’s fine by me.
I’ve actually seen the movie with Daniel Radcliffe ages ago, and thought the novel might be worth reading. 

 Outlander by Diana Gabaldon [x5]

Last week I entered a Facebook contest hosted by the Blanvalet Verlag and ended up with this pile of books. Vielen lieben Dank, Blanvalet! I have yet to figure out whom I want to give these to.

I also received a digital copy of Malorie Blackman’s Noble Conflict for review. I’ve been meaning to read her other book, Noughts and Crosses, for a while now, so I’m really excited about this one, too. Thank you to Random House!

 Breaking Bad – Season 2 + 3

So, finally, here is the reason why I haven’t read as many books as usual in the last couple of days: BREAKING BAD. I only just started watching the show after receiving the first season for my birthday three weeks ago – not kidding. And since I really enjoyed it, I had to buy the following two seasons straight away. I never would’ve thought that I’d like the topic (drugs, not the chemistry – chemistry is great), but the actors are very talented and, overall, it’s incredibly thrilling and witty.

Please let me know if you have read any of these novels and how you liked them! In addition, which books did you acquire this week?

17 comments:

  1. "The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer" fand ich ziemlich cool, sie bekommt immer wieder Flashbacks, Visionen und das in bester Horrorfilmmanier. Valentes Buch dagegen ist einfach süß, toll, zauberhaft, super etc. etc. und in einen märchenhaften Stil verpackt. Am liebsten hätte ich jeden Satz markiert und meine Ausgabe sieht auch so aus xD Hach, warte nur mal auf die Charaktere! Bei dem Buch komm ich aus dem Schwärmen gar nicht mehr raus. Viel Spaß damit!

    Liebe Grüße,
    Bramble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, puh, dann gehe ich wenigstens nicht mehr ganz so skeptisch an Mara Dyer heran. :)
      Auf die Fairyland-Bücher freu ich mich richtig, die kleinen Illustrationen zu Beginn jedes Kapitels sind ja schon mal zuckersüß.

      Delete
  2. Great selection of books. Outlander is a good series. I really enjoyed reading it a few years ago. It was pre-blogging. I still have to read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

    Grace
    Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huhu,
    Breaking Bad ist so genial *--* Wen der Rabe ruft hat mir leider nicht so gut gefallen. Bin gleich mal deine Leserin um nichts zu verpassen! Ganz viel Spaß beim lesen.

    Liebe Grüße
    Jenny von http://jemasija8.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke, freut mich!
      Die zweite Staffel hab ich nun auch schon durch. :D Gibt wohl ziemlich viele Leser, die mit Maggie Stiefvaters Büchern auf Kriegsfuß stehen ...

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any of these but happy reading!

    Tsuki’s STS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday!!!!! ooh In The Afterlight :)

    I LOVE The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. Enjoy the books !

    Rachel@A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That’s good to hear, as it reduces my scepticism towards it. :P

      Delete
  7. OMG this series has been on my tbr list for quite some time now. YOU HAVE THE FINAL BOOK! OMG OMG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don’t freak out, it’s only an excerpt! :) You should definitely start reading the series, though.

      Delete
  8. I'm hoping you enjoy Mara Dyer (it's one of my very favourites, so hopefully that's a positive for your hopes for it!), and The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland is absolutely exquisite! Happy reading and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I've been wanting to start The Darkest Minds series. I hear it's rather good! I'll have to check back and see what your verdict on the sequel and sampler are. I hear Love Letters to the Dead is a very emotionally draining book. I don't know if it's for me, but I'm glad other people are really enjoying it! I'm also curious about Mayra Dyer and The 5th Wave! Despite the negative reviews you read, I hope you end up loving the two.

    Enjoy all your goodies! I'd say you had one hell of a birthday! :)

    Marlene @ The Flyleaf Review

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband and I watched the entire Breaking Bad series as one huge marathon (over a period of several months). Loved it!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose my marathon will only take a few weeks! :P I’m such a TV show junkie ...

      Delete
  11. Great haul! Have fun giving those Diana Gabaldon books out. I have her first book but still need to read it. The 5th Wave and Love letters to the Dead are also book I want to read eventually. Enjoy and Happy Reading!
    Here are my newest additions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh I looove The 5th Wave, but yep, there's definitely people who hate it as well haha. And I really want to try Love Letter to the Dead. Can't wait to hear what you think about it!

    And The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland's cover looks super gorgeous 0-0
    Hope you enjoy them all!

    Neysa @ Papier Revue

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts on this blog post! :)