Monday, 9 June 2014

Home-made Bookmark Collection [Sherlock Holmes, Tardis, London …]

In the past, I belonged to the group of readers who just (ab)use random objects that are in one’s close proximity for bookmarks – such as tissue paper, receipts and so on. I find that readers can get really creative when in desperate need of a bookmark. 
But a while ago, I decided to change that deplorable condition. And so I started to create my own awesomeness of bookmarks – or at least that’s what I was aiming for. :)
Now I'm going to share a few of them with you, in hopes of inspiring you to create something yourself, and thus, celebrating and spreading the love for reading! Yey.

Additionally, I would be absolutely thrilled if this would prevail you to showcase your own bookmark collection on your blog! If so, please leave me a link to it.


For the Tardis, I used a stencil that I found on the Internet. The basic blue shape is made of cardboard, and the details made of paper are glued on. I did not use a stencil for the telephone box, as it is fairly easy to make. Just cut a piece of red cardboard to a narrow rectuangular shape, round up the edges on the top and put on the window bits. The crown is hand-drawn. Foolproof.


Some of these probably look familiar to you because you’ve already seen the template on my review for The Night Circus. When I’m really excited to read a certain book, I sometimes get the urge to create an extra bookmark for it. To enhance the reading experience, I suppose. 
The tarot card, which I also made for The Night Circus, is printed on glossy photo paper and has been laminated. Laminators are rather affordable and they are a helpful tool for making your own bookmarks. Say you found a pretty tumblr photo and want to print it out to use as a bookmark (for personal use only, obviously), laminating would make it a lot more durable – and shiny. 



The Sherlock/Sherlock Holmes bookmark is, without a doubt, my personal favourite. In case you can’t decipher the quotes: 
“When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remain, however improbable, must be the truth“ – Sherlock Holmes, Arthur Conan Doyle
“‘Yes, punch me, in the face. Didn’t you hear me?’ ‘I always hear ‘punch me in the face’ when you’re speaking, but it’s usually subtext.’” – Sherlock and Watson, BBC Sherlock

These are some of my favourite book quotes. The font is by a fellow nerdfighter, Sarah Turbin, and I expanded it by a few missing letters and put it all together – which was no fun, I assure you!


Unfortunately, these beauties weren’t my idea, but I just couldn’t keep them from you! A while ago, The Book Depository asked their customers to design bookmarks for them – and now you can get the winning entries for free with each purchase. I desperately want to collect all of these (in particular the ones by Lela Stroutsi, Tumi K. Steyn, Katie Borkin and Corina Comarnitchi).

Now it’s your turn to share your bookmarks! :)

19 comments:

  1. Love them! I was using scrap pieces of paper, until my kids took pity on me and they gave me a real bookmark for Mother's Day :) And then yesterday my son got a bookmark from his teacher and he gave it to me-he said I needed it more than he did, lol (he's 6 yrs old). So I have two real bookmarks now :) I think I'm going to start looking for them when we go on vacations and such-they'd be a fun item to collect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kids sound so cute! :) It would indeed be nice to collect bookmarks on vacations, that way they’ll have great memories attached to them. I actually have an Iceland bookmark because I long to visit that country one day. ;p

      Delete
  2. Wow, wenn ich das so sehe, fühl ich mich ganz schlecht, dass ich einfach alles mögliche als Lesezeichen benutze und da gar keinen Anspruch habe ;P Hauptsache ich weiß wo ich war^^ Aber die sehen echt toll aus einfach nur! Die Sherlock Variante gefällt mir auch am besten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so gorgeous, they really look great! I have a terrible habit of losing bookmarks so I stopped buying them but this is a nice in-between, making your own. Love the Night Circus :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You can’t imagine how many bookmarks I’ve lost in my life ... My inventory is constantly shrinking, that’s why I have so many in reserve. ;p

      Delete
  4. These are all lovely! I'm a huge bookmark person too - I've been using the same one for five years and it's still in great condition. My favorite is the one with all the quotes because I would love to be reminded of my favorite lines every time I picked up my current read. I'm impressed that you designed most of these yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaah these are awesome !I love the Sherlock Holmes one! The only way it could be better is if Robert Downey Jr was on it baha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Now that you mention the Sherlock Holmes movies, I really want to rewatch them, they are so funny – although Benedict Cumberbatch will always remain my favourite Holmes, followed by Downey Jr. and then Jeremy Brett. ^^

      Delete
  6. These are stunning! I love the creativity and there's such a wide range of styles. This is such a fantastic idea and you've done these so beautifully! Grand job.x

    (I also love tbd ones- the had a competition a year or two ago, as well, and now the recent one- I love getting these bookmarks! They're so unique and beautiful.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I only just started buying books on TBD regularly this year, so I missed the last competition. The colourful bookmark with the little bird on it won back then, right? I wish I had that one. :P

      Delete
  7. I love them! They look really good!
    My personal favorites are the ones you made for the Night Circus (I think?) because I have so many favorite quotes from books, and I always have the urge to write them everywhere, just to see them.. so now I know what to do! Plus, I have always loved to craft things..
    I love the tarot card too!

    Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Being able to carry your favourite quotes around with you in form of a bookmark is great, I can only advise everyone to do it. :D

      Delete
  8. Lovely bookmarks, I really like that Sherlock Holmes one. Any chance I can find it somewhere online? :D

    My favorite bookmark is one that my sister got me for my 21st birthday. It's silver and has my name and birthdate engraved. I even shed a few tears when I opened it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your bookmarks ideas- I usually just use vintage wallpaper cut into strips. I also wanted to let you know I've nominated you for a Liebster Award! Here's the link to what it's all about:
    http://www.victoriansoulcritiques.blogspot.com/2014/06/blog-news-liebster-award.html
    Have a great day,
    ~Litha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! The details of the award will be included in my post on Sunday here: The Pop Cultist

    I hope you'll accept and decide to participate!

    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ach, wenn ich die tollen Lesezeichen sehe, würde ich am liebsten meine Gewohnheit sofort umschwenken, um sie zu benutzen :DD Aber ich lese immer bis zu Seiten mit gut merkbaren Zahlen, wie 111, 343 usw. So ein Eiffelturmlesezeichen wär auch ganz schick^^

    Liebe Grüße,
    Bramble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Da bringst du mich jetzt aber auf Ideen ... Ich glaub, das wird das nächste Lesezeichen, das ich bastle. :))

      Ich hab mir auch oft bloß die Seitenzahlen gemerkt, wenn man dann allerdings irgendwann fünf Bücher parallel liest, sieht man schon alt aus. *g

      Delete
  12. Yep, she is called Gwyneth! I think I looked up the movie and I heard Gwendolyn, which I thought was weird but I guess Gwyneth is the weird name :p And cool, I didn't know she had more books! Have you read Silver?

    BTW, I love the bookmark idea. I've been meaning to make some (I'm someone who is guilty of using random objects around me :p)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my GOSH, I'm totally going to make a TARDIS bookmark! :D
    Rosie Reads

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts on this blog post! :)