Monday, 30 June 2014

Biannual Recap and Top 5 Books I’ve Read So Far in 2014


.5 ratings not included


I’m underwhelmed by the number of read books as well as by my unbalanced choice of genres and age ranges. 
I guess the reason why I mainly reached for YA literature and comics is that I was really stressed out at the beginning of the year. I spent a lot of time studying for my Abitur (like A-levels), and as soon as all the exams were over, I had to go to hospital for a month. (I just realised that might sound a bit drastic, so for your information, everything is fine now.) Quite frankly, I had no nerves to read anything that involves heavy thinking. 
My resolution for the second half of the year is to read more classics, adult fiction and nonfiction. I’m a huge fan of classics, so it’s very disappointing that the only classic I read is one that I had to reread for school.

The reason for having few negative ratings is not that I’m too easy to please, or at least I hope it’s not. If a book doesn’t catch my attention, I just don’t have the endurance to finish it, so I either put it back on the shelf to give it another chance later on, or I sell it. Additionally, I really had a good reading year so far in terms of choosing exciting books.

1. A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

This is probably the only book in this blog post that deserves a place amongst my all time favourite books. It was a very rewarding book, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though I had already seen the TV show. I love George R. R. Martin’s character portrayals and the fact that the book is written from a ton of different, yet equally interesting perspectives. The characters have lots of depth to them, so it’s impossible to decide whom to root for. (I still love Tyrion and Arya most. And Jon, Littlefinger, Brienne and Jaime ...)

2. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

You can see my thoughts on this book by clicking on the review. Even though the book somewhat fails to pick up pace, it deserves to be on this list because it contains wonderful, funny characters and it’s set in a mysterious little town.

3. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

A review of this novel can be found here. What I enjoyed most about The Night Circus is its unique setting and the vivid descriptions that make the story come to life.

4. The Archived by Victoria Schwab

I read both The Archived and the sequel, The Unbound, in 2014, and I was fascinated by the world that Victoria Schwab created. The idea that the dead rest on shelves and can be awakened by outer disturbances is pretty cool. 

5. Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

If you follow my blog on a regular basis, you’ll already know that this series was a surprise hit for me. I disliked Shatter Me, but ended up loving Unravel Me and Ignite Me.

Have you read any of the aforementioned books or comics? Which book was your personal favourite of the first half of 2014? And did you read any books that you wouldn’t recommend reading (like The Elite :P)?

1 comment:

  1. I loved the Shatter Me series. :) Glad you loved the rest of it. I kind of missed the strikeouts in the writings though. I thought it was a pretty good touch on the first book.

    I've always wanted to read The Night Circus. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts on this blog post! :)