Saturday, 7 January 2012

Book Playlist: Lola and the Boy Next Door

I cannot read a book without listening to music! It just helps me to block out my surroundings and to plunge deeper into a story. Also, I use it to intensify a certain mood that goes well with the plot. Therefore, I create a playlist for nearly every book, before actually reading it, and adjust it once I get further into the story. The lyrics don’t have to suit the story, although it’s cool if they do. 
When I read a book that is hard to understand, though, it has to be gentle music, like classical stuff or songs from my favourite icelandic band, Sigur Rós—so I cannot get distracted by the lyrics. Otherwise, I’d watch myself constantly having to read sentences twice or thrice …

So, with Lola, I wanted to have some positive music that captures the book’s lightness but also the troubles between Lola and Cricket. Enjoy & tell me if you think it fits. I’m totally interested in knowing which music other people link with it!


The Smiths – Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
 
Cat Power – The Moon
 
Wolf Parade – This Heart's on Fire
 
Buddy Holly – Dearest
 
Gotye – Hearts a Mess
 
CocoRosie – Turn Me On
 
Seabear – Arms
 
Crystal Castles – Not in Love (feat. Robert Smith)
 
Sóley – I'll Drown
 
Mumford and Sons – White Blank Page
 
Rilo Kiley – All the Good That Won't Come Out
 
Oasis – Don't Go Away
 
Mew – 156
 
Metronomy – Do the Right Thing
 
Ra Ra Riot – You and I Know

Do you have any suggestions on how to embed a whole playlist into a blog post? I tried out playlist.com, but it doesn’t work outside the US. May anyone help me out?

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read Lola yet - but I think it's awesome that you do this! What a fantastic idea and I hope you share more. As for embedding the playlists - try Grooveshark (I'm not sure if it works outside the US though). Then you can create the playlist there (from songs already on it or you can upload songs to it) - and then embed the playlist.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts on this blog post! :)